International Students and Scholars Office

Visa Information

Helpful Resources:

Visa Process for F-1 Visa:

Visa Process for J-1 Visa:

Visa Denial Information:

Arriving in the United States

When planning the date of your arrival, please be aware that you are not eligible to enter the United States more than 30 days prior to or after the start date on your I-20/DS-2019. Make sure to carry your immigration documents with you on the plane. Do not check them with your luggage.

United States immigration officials at the port of entry will make the final determination about your admissibility as a student. You will need the following immigration documents to enter into the United States:

  • A valid passport
  • A valid F or J visa in your passport
  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019

For initial admission, you must:

  • Show the immigration official the UNI Form I-20/DS-2019 and your passport.
  • Attend the school specified on your visa.

The immigration official should:

  • Examine your Form I-20/DS-2019 and return it to you.
  • Stamp your passport.

Immigration procedures to follow when transferring to UNI from another university in the United States:

If you travel outside the United States before coming to UNI: 

  • Inform the International Student Adviser at your current school of your intent to transfer to UNI. Your adviser should make the necessary entry into SEVIS. 
  • Obtain Form I-20 from UNI. 
  • Be sure that your F-1 visa is valid or obtain a new visa. 
  • Present your UNI Form I-20 to immigration officials upon re-entry to the United States. 
  • Upon arrival, bring your stamped UNI I-20 and your passport to the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) to be copied. 

If you come directly to UNI without leaving the United States, bring the UNI I-20 and your passport to the ISSO to be copied.