Welcome new Panthers! As a part of the Global Panther Success (GPS) program, orientation is designed to assist you with your transition to life in the United States and at the University of Northern Iowa. Orientation provides a welcoming and exciting environment to make connections with new students, current students, as well as faculty and staff.
All GPS Orientation events, sessions, and activities are planned and coordinated to get you started as a Panther. Our goals are to help you
- Adjust to academic and social life
- Comply with government regulations and maintain your immigration status
- Learn about on- and off-campus resources and support services
- Learn how to navigate the physical environment of campus
- Become more aware of the local community and U.S. culture
- Meet new people and make friends from around the world
The core of the orientation program is led by current UNI students, known as GPS Student Coordinators. The GPS Team and the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) collaborate with partners across campus to accomplish these goals and provide a welcoming environment to the new students.
GPS Orientation takes place during the week before the start of each fall and spring semester. GPS Orientation for Fall 2017 will start on Saturday, August 12, 2017. Please plan to arrive by Friday, August 11. For detailed information, arrival information and dates, please visit the page for your semester's orientation.