International Students and Scholars Office

J-1 Student Employment

On Campus Employment

J-1 students may work anywhere on the UNI campus for up to 20 hours per week during any fall or spring academic semester. A student can hold more than one job, as long as the total number of hours worked per week does not exceed 20.

During the summer between the spring and fall semesters (Early May to late August), students may work over 20 hours per week, or full-time. This is also an option during the break between the fall and spring semesters (Mid-December to mid-January), but work hours may be limited during this winter break. Multiple jobs are also permissible during these vacation periods. In some situations, UNI employment policies may limit students from working more than 40 hours per week.

Off Campus Employment

Off-campus employment is generally not permitted. There are, however, two types of employment that can be authorized in certain situations for J-1 students.

Unforeseen Economic Circumstances

If you have experienced an unexpected change in your financial support and you cannot earn enough income from on-campus employment sources to meet your financial needs, you should meet with the Immigration and Visa Coordinator to discuss off-campus employment. You must be able to prove that off-campus employment is necessary due to the severe economic hardship caused by this change in your financial support.

Academic Training

If you are required to complete an internship or cooperative education experience as part of a class that you are taking, or as part of your program of study, then you can be authorized for this using Academic Training. Academic training can also be used to hold a job after graduation so that you can gain experience in your field.

Academic Training must be closely related to your field of study, and it requires the approval of your academic advisor or the dean of your department at UNI. If you are interested in Academic Training, please read our Academic Training Information and Application Guide.

After you have read the Academic Training and Application Guide, please contact the Immigration and Visa Coordinator if you have any questions. After you have prepared the required materials, you should schedule an appointment to visit the Immigration and Visa Coordinator to complete your application and discuss your authorization letter.