International Students and Scholars Office

F-1 Student Employment

On Campus Employment

F-1 students may work anywhere on the UNI campus for up to 20 hours per week during any fall or spring academic semester. A student can hold more than one job, as long as the total number of hours worked per week does not exceed 20.

During the summer between the spring and fall semesters (Early May to late August), students may work over 20 hours per week, or full-time. This is also an option during the break between the fall and spring semesters (Mid-December to mid-January), but work hours may be limited during this winter break. Multiple jobs are also permissible during these vacation periods. In some situations, UNI employment policies may limit students from working more than 40 hours per week.

Off Campus Employment

Severe Economic Hardship

If you have experienced an unexpected change in your financial support and you cannot earn enough income from on-campus employment sources to meet your financial needs, then you may apply to the U.S. Government for permission to work off-campus. You must be able to prove that off-campus employment is necessary due to the severe economic hardship caused by this change in your financial support.

To apply, you will need to work with the International Student Advisor. Before scheduling an appointment to meet with the Advisor, please prepare the following items:

  • USCIS form I-765
  • $380.00 filing fee
  • 2 passport sized photos of yourself taken at a full frontal view, with the subject looking straight at the camera. For more detailed guidelines
  • A letter addressed to “BCIS Officer” that explains your need for off-campus employment. You should include as much supporting information with this application as possible.
  • Passport, visa and I-94 card: Bring these to your advising appointment so that copies can be made to submit with your application.