International Students and Scholars Office

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training is an off-campus employment option for F-1 students when the practical training is an integral part of the established curriculum or academic program. 

If you are required to complete a paid internship or cooperative education experience as part of a class that you are taking, or as part of your program of study, then you can be authorized for using Curricular Practical Training, also known as CPT. Eligibility requirements are the same, with the exception of graduate students whose programs require immediate participation in an internship/practical training, who may apply at any time.

To apply for CPT, please make an appointment to visit with the Immigration & Advising Coordinator - Ross Schupbach ( at the International Students and Scholars Office.