International Students and Scholars Office

On Campus Employment

International students are not permitted to work more than a total of 20 hours from all jobs during ANY week (Sunday through Saturday) while school is in session. There are no exceptions to this rule.

International students must be enrolled full time (12 hours for undergraduates / 9 hours for graduates) except for summer. With proper documentation from an academic advisor, an exception may be made for students in their last semester of study. Exceptions are for one semester only. International students must also abide by all other Student Employment policies. For information on getting an internship please click here.

Tips to finding on-campus employment:

  • Log on to MyUNIverse and search the Online Job Board. International students should search “On-Campus, Non-Work Study”. 
  • Obtain detailed information (i.e. qualifications, description, wage, contact person, etc.) about each position by clicking into the job link.
  • Visit Career Services in Gilchrist Hall for assistance on job searches, resumes, interview tips etc. 
  • Get in touch with the contact person for any employment opportunities that you may be interested in.

Procedures once employment is found:

  1. International students MUST make an appointment with Cheryl Klahsen, UNI Payroll Office, 103 Gilchrist Hall by e-mailing to complete IRS forms for correct taxation status. When e-mailing to Cheryl Klahsen please provide the following information: name of your home country, length of time in U.S. and dates and times available for the appointment. 
    • Forms to bring to your meeting with Cheryl will include VISA, Passport, printed copy of I-94 obtained from, I-20 or DS-2019, and bank routing and account numbers.
    • Graduate Assistants: Also bring your assistantship acceptance letter.
  2. Once all necessary forms are completed with Cheryl Klahsen (I-9, CEERF, and Direct Deposit), the international student will then meet with Student Employment.  After this meeting the international student will then return to the department with their completed forms, and have their supervisor complete an approval form (SEAF) that is needed to gain employment.
  3. The student should keep all documents that Cheryl gives them. This is necessary particularly if the student has a tax treaty. There is information in the documents that the student completes when they have a tax treaty that they need when they complete their income tax return.
  4. Supervisors will then send the approval form to the Student Employment office, located at 116 Gilchrist Hall.

Departments to notify once you receive your Social Security Card: